Hey you, Who me, Officer Krupke? Yeah you, gimme one good reason for not dragging you down the station, ya punk!

Dear kindly Sergeant Krupke, you gotta understand, It's just our bringin' upke that gets us out of hand, Our mothers all are junkies, our fathers all are drunks, Golly Moses, naturally we're punks

Gee, Officer Krupke, we're very upset, We never had the love that every child oughta get, We ain't no delinquents, we're misunderstood, Deep down inside us there is good

That's a touching good story, Lemme tell it to the world, Just tell it to the Judge

Dear kindly Judge, Your Honor, my parents treat me rough, With all their marijuana, they won't give me a puff, They didn't wanna have me but somehow I was had, Leapin' lizards, that's why I'm so bad

Right, Officer Krupke, you're really a square, This boy don't need a judge, he needs an analyst's care, It's just his neurosis that oughta be curbed, He's psychologically disturbed

Hear ye, hear ye in the opinion of this court, This child is depraved on account he ain't had a normal home, Hey, I'm depraved on account I'm deprived, So take him to a headshrinker

My daddy beats my mommy, my mommy clobbers me, My grandpa is a commie, my grandma pushes tea, My sister wears a mustache, my brother wears a dress, Goodness gracious, that's why I'm a mess

Yes, Officer Krupke, he shouldn't be here, This boy don't need a couch, he needs a useful career, Society's played him a terrible trick and sociologically he's sick

In my opinion, this child does not need to have his head shrunk at all, Juvenile delinquency is purely a social disease, Hey, I got a social disease, So take him to a social worker

Dear kindly social worker, they tell me get a job, Like be a soda jerker, which means like be a slob, It's not I'm antisocial, I'm only anti-work, Glory Osky, that's why I'm a jerk

Eek, Officer Krupke, you've done it again, This boy don't need a job, he needs a year in the pen, It ain't just a question of misunderstood, Deep down inside him, he's no good

The trouble is he's lazy, the trouble is he drinks, The trouble is he's crazy, the trouble is he stinks, The trouble is he's growing, the trouble is he's grown, Krupke, we've got troubles of our own

Gee, Officer Krupke we're down on our knees, 'Cause no one wants a fella with  a social disease
Gee, Officer Krupke What are we to do?
Gee, Officer Krupke, Krup you!


the really weird thing about listening to this as a fifty year old, was the sad realisation that I never understood what I was singing when I was a ten year old. . . and how nothing really changes - all the issues in WSS are exactly the same now as they were then. . .

4 comments:

Z said...

I've heard the words many times, but i've not really thought about them before.

Mel said...

Oh, I've thought about them time and time again, when the words show up or pop up in my head. It's that first bit that puts me in the situation I choose to be in. There aren't enough excuses, yaknow? There's a lot of truth in those lines, but I used them as excuses to do very hurtful thing--it brought about a sense of entitlement and I felt justified. Sadly, that line of thinking can permeate deeply into your being and you either get pulled up by your bootstraps and start trying different to GET different.....or you continue to do destructive things to people who love you and to yourself (though I was hard pressed to see the last bit).

Yup--same station, same time next week. Not a whole lot has changed in that arena, despite all their efforts TO change it. People haffta wanna, they tell me. I laugh and tell 'em tires don't wanna be changed--sometimes it takes a good tire iron to get the job done! (that is NOT a well received theory, I must say!) NOT that it's the answer every time--but if someone hadn't come with that tire iron, I'da never found out life is really kinda cool!
Just sayin'.......

Anonymous said...

I thought about you today.. and went hunting for an email that worked.~laughing~ and that didn't happen.
but I knew that somewhere I had a bookmark to this page. Good thing when the computer crashed I actually had my bookmarks backed up...
So this is me.. waving, and saying "hey there! I thought of you today, and it was as if an angel kissed me on the noggin"
Hope you are well...
:)

Mel said...

Doesn't she just say things so beautifully? :-)

I was thinking of you this morning over my morning coffee.
k....that's not said AS beautifully as hers was, but it's just as true! :-/