the fat lady is singing!!!!

all over! now, as you, dear reader, will know I am a devout believer in the fact that
however, even I have my limits. . . fifteen 13/14-year old girls and the one boy make quite a messso, I determined to use my well honed motivational skills and, as the end of the party drew close, appointed two tidy-up-team leaders, allowing each to pick their team members, whilst keeping the Most Sensible Friend (there's always one, isn't there) as Tidiness Monitor
Tidiness Monitor had the sparklers, which she was allowed to give out when there was no mess left to Those Deemed Having Made A Suitable Effort (it's incredible how easily influenced these girls are)(which is worrying in itself), Best Friend headed up one team and Boy Friend headed up the second; I advised them to whistle while they worked
three bin bags and two recycling bags later, the sparklers were dolled out and iTowers was back to it's usual state - I even have the t-shirt to prove it(if, like me, you've always wondered what that saying was about, this is the answer, apparently: "The saying in today's form has been recorded as early as 1840, 'shipshape' alone being about 200 years older. The term developed most likely in view of the port of Bristol which had a very high tidal range of 13 metres (43 ft), the second highest in the world. Ships moored in this area would be aground at low tide and, because of their keels, would fall to one side. If everything was not stowed away tidily, or tied down, the results were chaotic and cargo could be spoiled.")

it did occur to me that if I could regroup these girls into some kind of After Party Cleaning Up Organisation, and if sparklers might replace wages, I'd be onto a good thing (and the team uniform could be the t-shirt) but there's probably some law or other preventing that

5 comments:

Christopher said...

This little short of miraculous. Not to say inspired. I think you deserve a long lie tomorrow morning.

Spadoman said...

Even pirate ships were in shipshape. We never wanted to have to sort through the gold again and again.
Good job working with the kids. Tell me more about what a sparkler is. We have them here, but like many things used in both countries, maybe what you call a sparkler isn't what we call a sparkler. Just wonderin'.

Peace dear woman.

Mel said...

Sparklers! You....my dear....are brilliant!

Shipshape and sparklered out! Brilliant!

<-- will steal the idea, tyvm!

(of course you realize it'll be MY treat for tidying up an area, right?)

english inukshuk said...

Mel I've never thought about rewarding myself for accomplishing housework. . . might have to take a leaf out of your book on that one!

man sparklers here are little metal wires with black powder on the end, you light the black powder and they fizz out sparks and light and you wave them around in the air and try and make shapes and write your name and before you know it the fizz has all burnt out and you have to dispose of the wire carefully and make sure you don't burn your fingers whilst you're at it

like this

(-:

Christopher I was hoping for an early morning cup of tea, but apparently they didn't want to disturb me from my slumber

still, can't complain, eh

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I'm sorry I can't be more interesting but I'm not in a fit state.
But am amazed.
And impressed.
Sparklers - so clever"