precious (a friend hid in death's dateless night)

if to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
and with old woes new wail my dear time's waste

 then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
for precious friends hid in death's dateless night
and weep afresh love's long-since-cancelled woe,
and moan th' expense of many a vanished sight
then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
and heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
 

the sad account of fore-bemoanèd moan,
which I new pay as if not paid before
 
but when the while I think on thee, dear friend,
all losses are restored and sorrows end

6 comments:

Mel said...

The artwork is awesome. The words, go figure, had me reading and re-reading and reading between what I was reading. I like the bit of mystery in the fella's writing. Or perhaps, in his time, there was no mystery and it was clear as clear what he was speaking to.
It's a sad sonnet, from where I'm sitting this morning......with my coffee...amazed and thrilled that there's a bit that made the publish button.
*holding out the cup*
Black. And I'll pass on any kind of treat. 'Cept if there's some fresh fruit. I never pass on fresh fruit. ;-)

Vicus Scurra said...

Yes, we have missed you.

dinahmow said...

Hello! waving...

Mel said...

She comes, she goes. *waving* But the coming and leaving of a sonnet with photos to peak my curiosity is a good thing.
It's summer and flowers are everywhere....as are the mosquitos. LOL Oh, but we have flutterbys and hummingbirdies, so it's all good. OH! And lightening bugs! :-)
Happy summering to you, ma'am.

Egal Bohen said...

Dear I,Ltv,

A description that embodies the truth of life, friendship and love, all of which do truly surpass all other wordly things.

Will has no equal when it comes to words.....

More of the same please!

Sincerely,

Egal..

Mel said...

:-)

See--even *I* knew that!
I just don't....say it as lovely as E.B. does.

Hoping all is well--and that moments of abundant joy are finding you when you least expect them.