jazz in a basement bar. . .

the moon's on the rain - drunk too much, spent too much, penniless again
oh, sweetheart, where are you tonight? I remember when we used to walk by the Thames
the lights on the embankment like jewels on chains


I'll never forget what you said at the start, you said
I'll put a string of lights 'round your heart


you've got a photograph, the one that is mine, tucked in your pocket, all tattered by time

oh, sweetheart, who's with you tonight? are you there at the roundabouts
down in the park? where you sneak through the railings, when it's locked after dark

is she learning the song you taught me at the start?
the one, the bells and the banjos
played on our hearts. . . now the bars are all empty

everybody's gone home, perhaps I'll walk down the embankment alone. . .
oh, sweetheart, I'm glad that we met and that there's jazz in the basement bars and jewels on chains, 'cause I've drunk too much and spent too much

 but there's moon on the rain

THE FABULOUS EDDI

4 comments:

Mel said...

What a beautiful song--sung by a gal with a wonderful voice. No--not one that I recognized but I'm sure to play it for himself in a bit. (Odds are he'll know more and share stories....hopefully(this is the man who didn't recognize the rift from Stairway to Heaven that somehow got stuck in his brain. LOL).
Oh, but it's Friday and I have a lovely cuppa coffee and I've imagined wonderful pastries that I can smell but not eat. LOL I'm good with that, given I'm suddenly 'fitting into' Levi's I've not worn in four years.....eeshhhh

Happy Friday!!

english inukshuk said...

Fairground Attraction. . . such a brilliant band. . .

this week, at I,LTV Towers we have had late night pineapple upside down cake, early evening apple and cheese tart with blueberry and onion chutney, during the day there have been loaves of freshly made bread with seeds, on Sunday there was a (rather delicious if I say it myself) lemon pie and something else which I can't recall

all hand made by moi

internet friendly gluten free virtual slices being whizzed to you, dearheart X

english inukshuk said...

(-;

Mel said...

I eagerly await the day some doctor tells me I can have wheat gluten, that there's healing on my broken-ness and that I'm getting my own unicorn. I might pass on the first two and settle of the pet unicorn....unless it was lemon pie.....